Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Chris Columbus (2010)

Percy Percy Percy...Why did you let me down so? I am a huge fan of this book...I mean whats not to love? Its like Harry Potter meets the Greek Gods! Who wouldn't love that. I think the kid in all of us is intrigued by this story line, I mean its a book meant to entertain pre-teens, but is able to pull in adult readers..Thats pretty impressive on its own.
Percy Jackson is a kid with some issues. He struggles in school. Has ADD, and is dyslexic...Sounds like he has it tough. The reason he is unlike your average kid is because his father turns out to be no other than God of the seas Poseidon. He lives on earth with his Mortal mom, making him what they refer to as a demi-god. Its pretty cool. He finds out why he is the way he is because of his God blood. He is basically genetically designed for battle and reading ancient Greek. Meeting friends along his epic journey Percy deals with some crazy stuff we've all read about in some Mythology book at one point or another....For example: Harpies, Medusa, Ares, Hades AND his crazy 3 headed dog, AND at some point Zeus. This book is amazing, but the movie...not so much.
I am very surprised Chris Columbus didn't stick true to the book at all...He did such a wonderful job on Harry Potter, but with this he just went somewhere else. Maybe they allowed more creative changes than Harry Potter, who knows....I mean I have seen a good portion of books turned to movies, and i'll always be the one to tell you not to expect the movie to be as good, but geez I expect it to be at least the same damn story...Is that asking too much? I believe people who have never read the book might enjoy the movie, and kids too, its very kid friendly...But in my opinion the best thing about this movie was the promise of telling the actually story in the spectacular trailer..I mean it was pretty impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment